Crop Protection Manager and Sprayer Operator (Spring 2019)
- Sarnia, ON
- Salary: $40,000.00 to $55,000.00 /year
- Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Fairwind Farms is a family owned cash crop enterprise located in Sarnia, Ontario, growing 5,000 acres of corn, soybeans, wheat and sugarbeets.
The mission of Fairwind Farms is to focus on maximizing crop production, while minimizing energy consumption and chemical applications, to employ innovation, the use of technology and research in order to balance profitability, sustainability and stewardship of the environment in which we base our livelihood.
The company will rely on the Crop Protection Manager to assist with all daily functions of the application equipment including but not limited to machine operations for spraying, fertilizing, and some grain handling and late fall harvest operations.
A good deal of machine maintenance, repair, problem solving, and equipment management will also be expected.
The Crop Protection Manager will also be responsible for interfacing with our agronomist, planning field work activity, and managing support team (mostly tender truck operator) to accomplish the required work. Hours of work need to flexible in spraying season to avoid adverse weather and maximize good spraying conditions. Off season, non spraying days are M-F 8-5
RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
• Daily management, support, and participation in field operations including but not limited to spraying, fertilizer spreading, possible late fall harvest operations
• Coordinate field work responsibilities with agronomist, farm manager, and other machine operators
• Other duties as assigned
Other skill requirements for this position include
• Bachelor’s degree or College diploma in Ag-related field preferred
• Valid Driver’s License (AZ or DZ Driver’s License a plus)
• Previous farming experience
• Agricultural Exterminator license is an asset, Farm Perticides license a must
• Experience with John Deere machinery and Greenstar systems
• Ability to mix chemicals and fertilizer as recommended from our agronomist
• Ability to operate self propelled John Deere sprayer
• Ability to complete basic mechanic jobs
• Welding and metalworking ability
• Excellent oral/written communications skills and good problem solving skills
• The ability to work independently and with a team
• Basic familiarity with agricultural equipment such as tractors, planters, fertilizer applicators, sprayers, tillage tools etc is preferred. Candidate may be required to drive a truck pulling a trailer or other equipment, as well as operate an ATV and spray equipment
• Ability to work outdoors, occasionally in adverse conditions.
• Ability to lift up to 50lbs and to bend, stoop, kneel and traverse uneven ground regularly
• Ability to work additional, long hours to meet business demands during busy seasons
Why Work Here?
Fairwind Farms is a family owned company with a long history in the Sarnia area. Our staff are a dynamic team that work well together and independently with support from members of the Lumley family. We offer competitive pay, benefits and a great work environment.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com